Friday, September 17, 2010

Week in Review--Week 5, in which we do school at the pet store

I can barely remember what we've done this week.  So I suppose this will be short!

Everyone has done some math, language arts, spelling, social studies, and science.

We finished Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

Goofy is 1/3 of the way through his math book already.  That little overachiever.  I suppose I'll have to order his next book by mid-October at this rate!  He also read 3 new Bob books this week.  He's super adorable while reading.  He just loves it.  His whole face lights up.  He's just so happy to be reading!










Scrappy has had a reading breakthrough as well.  He finally (FINALLY) has a good attitude about it!  He loves his reader and can't wait to read more.  His reader is marked as Kindergarten level, but I think it's more 1st or 2nd grade.  He can read tougher stuff, I promise.  I'm working on developing his love of reading.  The fluency will come.  It's the love that needs to be nurtured.

Funny did some research at the local pet store about firebelly toads.  She really wants one.  I don't especially care either way.  I fear I'll end up taking care of it.  She's been a tad frog-obsessed for at least a year.  I figure it's not a fleeting interest, at least.  I'm inclined to let her get one, as long as Hub agrees.



Oh, one other thing.  I've been reading When You Rise Up by R.C. Sproul, Jr. this week.  It is wonderful!  It has been a great encouragement to me, as it's been a week of questioning homeschooling (it happens, let's just admit it).  I've been struggling with the different-ness that accompanies homeschooling.  I have been reminded that I belong home with the kids and that I am really helping them thrive.  And they, in turn, are helping me thrive.



Need more inspiration?  Check out Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers.

3 comments:

  1. I think everyone quesstions their choices once and awhile, if we didn't question the world, others, and ourselves, we would be blind followers instead of competent thinking beings! My ds, who will be 8 in November really isn't a big fan of reading yet either. Did you know, the US is one of the few countries in the world that expects children to start "reading" so young? Each child is different, and when they are ready to read, they will. One thing that really helped us out was to have ds alternate reading with us. We read a page, he reads a page, etc. In addition, letting him choose what to read really makes a difference. I don't worry so much at what level he is reading, I just try to brim with excitement when he wants to read! The various levels will come in time. I also really make sure to point out when he randomly reads signs or environmental print. "Look at that, you're reading! and I didn't even tell you that you had to!" He always gets a big grin on his face. It seems to have boosted his reading confidence, and makes reading time every day much more enjoyable! Oh, another thing we have been doing differently is that he gets to choose where to read. Most often, it is snuggled up in bed, out on the hammock, or in a comfy chair. This seems to help too, sitting in a desk or at the table is too uncomfortable for the reading to be a pleasant experience for him. I don't know if any of this will help you out or not, but it made a big difference for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great week! Reading break-throughs are the best.

    We are in VA Bch. It is a great area with an awesome homeschooling community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to check into the Sproul book. Sounds great. Yes, definitely that science reader is definitely than K level. We love the science readers here. So glad you're having some reading success.

    ReplyDelete

I am very needy. I need your comments.