Monday, March 29, 2010

Asian Pot Roast

I warn you now, I failed to photograph the roast. But really, use your imagination. It looked like meat. Cooked meat. It wasn't that pretty anyway. But it was tasty.

Asian Pot Roast

roast (I used one 1.5 lb. bottom round and one approximately 2 lb. chuck roast)

If you have a normal family, obviously you could use less. I am feeding 6 plus I want leftovers.

1/2 c. soy sauce (I used tamari; I'm like that)
3-4 cloves garlic, minced or about 2-3 tsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. honey
scant sprinkle of allspice
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. hot chili oil
1 tsp. sesame oil

Combine in crock pot and cook on low 6-8 hours. However long you want. It's a crock pot. It's very forgiving. I had wanted to toss some sesame seeds in this at the end, but I forgot.

Anyway, here's how I finished it:

I had leftover red peppers and onions from yesterday. They were already sautéed. So if you want to add them, you'll have to sauté them toward the end. I am pro-veggie, so I really do recommend you add something. Some steamed broccoli would be good, too, just served with it.

I pulled the meat out of the pot (I threw out the fat) and shredded it in a bowl with two forks. If you are smarter than I am, you would add the seeds here. You could even toast them in a dry skillet. Man, I am so mad I forgot! Then I reheated the peppers and onions and mixed them into the liquid from the pot. I poured the liquid with veggies over the meat, and combined it. I served it all over some tasty brown rice.

You can really play with the seasonings here--more or less garlic, ginger, or add pepper. I was afraid to add pepper with the chili oil, but it could've been spicier. I just would not add much more allspice. I don't know what even possessed me to put that on the meat, but it was good. But I am pretty confident that no one wants their roast to taste like pie. So be careful!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds awesome. I can still smell my roast , I think it's haunting me. Probably because I added insult to the injury of death by ruining it. Oh well , lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete

I am very needy. I need your comments.