Monday, February 15, 2010

You can take the girl out of the south....


I've been doing FlyLady (which is probably a whole different post), and as a result of my shiny sink (and the clean kitchen that naturally follows), I have been cooking up a storm. Today I fried up some potatoes for breakfast and they were just so easy and delicious that I had to share.

Fried Potatoes with Onion

4 medium potatoes, scrubbed and baked (I used Yukon Gold)
1/2 medium onion, chopped (more or less, whatever you like)
salt
pepper
garlic
2-3 tbsp. oil (I used canola, but olive would work)

I baked my potatoes while I was baking something else for last night's dinner. Then I just stuck them on a plate in the fridge overnight. In the morning, you just have to chop them into chunks, the same size for making mashed potatoes, about 1/2-1 inch cubes. They are already cooked, so it doesn't matter that much. You are just going to heat them and make them extra tasty.


Heat up the oil in a skillet on medium-high. When it's hot, toss in the potatoes and chopped onion. Spread them out and then leave them alone.


Sprinkle the salt, pepper, garlic powder (I know, but I was out of real garlic), and really whatever spices you like, over top. We're not making a stir-fry here; you want the potatoes and onions to brown. After a minute or two, you can flip them over with a spatula. Then let them sit again. Season them again if you feel like it. If it makes you feel better, you can stir them around a little at this point, but again, make sure you leave them alone long enough so they are browning. They won't dry out and get crunchy. Well, unless you burn them. When they are as done as you like (I tasted a potato and an onion to be sure), then they are ready to eat!

I really wished I had a bell pepper to put in these potatoes, but I didn't. I recommend one for you, but they were still great with just the onion.


Why is it onions turn into candy when you cook them?

1 comment:

  1. I started FlyLady once. I really need to do it again (see you are inspiring me).

    Can I just tell you that as southern as I am, I have never successfully fried potatoes. I think I mess with them too much.

    ReplyDelete

I am very needy. I need your comments.