Thursday, February 18, 2010

Toffee Brownies


I'm crabby today. What solves crabby better than chocolate!? (That's rhetorical, people.)

Did I mention that I also feel lazy today? Sad, but true. Crabby and lazy often go together around here.



Toffee Brownies

1 box brownie mix, according to box directions
some chocolate-toffee chips

Viola! Nothing but the fanciest stuff around here today. I just mixed the box mix up according to the directions on the back of the box. I accidentally (or desperately?) bought a milk chocolate brownie mix last time I was at the store, since the real ones were sold out. Take my word for it, they are just wrong. I think I had 2 or 3 boxes, and this is the last one (thank goodness). Basically, this recipe is an attempt at making them edible for someone other than a 3 year old.

Where was I? Oh yes. Brownie mix. I just stirred in some Heath pieces that I had leftover from my intentions at Christmas. I didn't use the whole bag, because you never know when a toffee emergency will strike later on and I'll need to just eat them straight from the bag. Let's be honest here. We all do it.

Right. So, mix the pieces in, and bake according to the box. Mine are in a 13x9 glass dish, so they will bake maybe 25 minutes (at 350), tops. Do me, and everyone you love, a favor. Don't over bake your brownies.

Now, generally, I am opposed to frosted brownies. Not as much as I am opposed to the cake brownie, but that is another post for another time (probably never). But, since I am trying to figure out a way to make the milk chocolate brownies work, I whipped up a little powdered sugar frosting.


With thanks to Better Homes and Gardens:


Chocolate Powdered Sugar Frosting (or Icing, for those of you who care)

1 c. powdered sugar (the recipe says "sifted," I say "pfft")
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. cocoa (okay, I added more like 3 tbsp. I am having a bad day, remember?)

Mix those up. Then, with your beautiful and well-deserved KitchenAid stand mixer whirring, slowly add in

1-2 tbsp. milk (to desired consistency).

Start slowly with the milk, and add it a bit at a time. Mine is a bit runny today as I'm in a bit of a sloppy, drizzly mood.

Once your brownies come out of the oven, pour the icing over top.


Spread it around.


Okay, okay. You talked me into it. I sprinkled the top with a handful of toffee bits. So sue me.


These were SUPER good. Very rich, so only a little piece is necessary. I couldn't even tell there was a milk chocolate mix under there.

Chocolate DOES make me happy. A girl has to keep her voluptuous figure somehow.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it is like you're talking to me. Or was it the brownies?? Either way, I was highly amused.

    ReplyDelete

I am very needy. I need your comments.