Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Egg Casserole

I really didn't burn the bacon. But it photographed like that.



If you're like me, you find a number of occasions that call for a breakfast casserole. Or, maybe you have 4 kids and this is a thrifty way to feed them. Either way, I've stumbled upon something tasty here.



Egg Casserole

1 lb. bacon, chopped (I used turkey bacon)
1 medium onion, chopped
8 oz. shredded cheese (I used extra sharp cheddar)
about 2 cups bread, cubed (I used 5 leftover biscuits)
7-8 eggs
1/2 c. milk
1 tsp. cumin (more or less or omit, whatever you like)
salt
pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder

Fry up the bacon pieces with the onion. I did this the night before so I wouldn't have to do it in the morning. Shred your cheese, if you're shredding your own. Grease/spray a 13x9 casserole dish and put the bread cubes in the bottom. You are looking to cover the bottom. Layer cheese on top, followed by cooked bacon with onion. Whisk together eggs with milk and seasonings. You could add more eggs or milk if you want. Pour over top of your dish. You want the bread to be wet. Let sit at least 10-15 minutes so the bread soaks up some liquid, or cover and chill overnight. If you chill overnight, just pull it out while the oven preheats to come to room temperature. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or so, until it's as done as you like.

You can alter this recipe in a number of ways. I know a lot of egg casserole recipes call for dry mustard, and not for cumin and garlic. But I like what I like. I already pretended this was healthy by using turkey bacon, but you could also add a can of mushrooms, or leftover veggies, like broccoli.

Scrappy enjoys his egg casserole with some hot sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am very needy. I need your comments.