Saturday, October 2, 2010

That's hot! Cauliflower gets Spicy

I found this recipe about a year ago on Not So Humble Pie's blog.  In the past couple of years I have grown to adore cauliflower.  As much as a cruciferious veggie can be adored, I guess.  I also like a meat-free meal now and again.  This one was just perfect!

I got a cauliflower in the CSA box yesterday, and immediately thought of this recipe.  I did not, however, think to locate it and review it in order to purchase any missing ingredients.  The recipe calls for three kinds of flour!  So I had to alter the recipe, and everyone here still thought it was delicious.  One day I would like to make it according to the recipe, if only to feel my tongue burst into flames.

Mine were good, but I wonder if they would've been crispier with the right flours.  It wasn't mushy though.  I would make this again, even with the substitutions I have made.


A gathering of ingredients.  Look at that gorgeous cauliflower.  *sigh*
Gobi Manchurian
Based on Not so Humble Gobi Manchurian

 1 head cauliflower, cut into medium florets
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. blended corn meal (I was supposed to use corn flour, but didn't have any.  So I blended my corn meal for a little while to grind it further.)
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. grated ginger
1 tsp. grated garlic
1 tsp. finely chopped jalapeño
warm water

vegetable oil

Sauce:
1 tbsp. sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 c. finely chopped sweet onion
1 inch ginger, minced
1 jalapeño, finely chopped (minus the bit for coating the cauliflower)
1/3 c. soy sauce
1 tbsp. sriracha sauce ("rooster" sauce)
3 tbsp. ketchup

couple sprinkles hot chili sesame oil
chopped cilantro

Core and cut cauliflower into medium florets.  Bring water with a pinch of salt to boil and add the florets.  Boil about 10 minutes or until tender.  Drain.

In large pan (I used a frying pan), heat a few inches of vegetable oil to 350 degrees.  For batter, combine flours, garlic, ginger, and jalapeños; add enough water to make it smooth.  Toss the cooked florets in the batter to coat, then sprinkle with about 2-3 tbsp. all-purpose flour and toss gently.  Fry florets in small batches until deep golden brown and crispy.  I had to turn a couple of mine.  Drain on paper towels.

Sauté garlic in sesame oil over medium-high heat for 30 seconds.  Add onion, garlic, ginger, and jalapeños and sauté another minute.  Add soy sauce and ketchup and cook until thickened and bubbly (just a minute or two).

Put the hot, fried cauliflower in a large bowl.  Pour sauce over and toss to coat.  Garnish with cilantro and a couple sprinkles of hot chili sesame oil.


The finished product.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am very needy. I need your comments.