Friday, January 21, 2011

Butternut Squash Bisque

Butternut bisque, get in my belly!

More snow.  That means more soup!  Well, it does here, anyway.

I was reading my email this morning, and stumbled upon this recipe from Saving Dinner.  If you've never heard of this site, I'm a little sad for you.  There's a book, too, that your library might have.  She sends an email every weekday, and once or twice a week a recipe is included.  Here's her thing:  she wants us to be eating healthy foods that are easy to cook.  Holla!  (Can I say "holla"?  I did.)

This is her recipe, with slight alteration.  I added 1/2 tsp. more curry powder and had to use full-fat evaporated milk since it's all I had.

I have been collecting butternut squash, it seems.  So I poked some holes in about 4 of them (with a steak knife) and put them on a pan in the oven at 350 for about an hour, maybe an hour and a half.  I lost track; I was doing other stuff.  That's what's nice about roasting squash.  You can leave them.  It's not exact science.  I only used about 1 1/2 c. of squash for this recipe; the rest I think I will bake into a tasty pie.

Mmmm onions & apples.


Butternut Bisque
from Saving Dinner.com

1 medium butternut squash, cooked (I mashed mine, but cubes would be fine.)
3/4 c. chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 apple, cored and diced (I used a gala.)
2 tsp. butter (yes, only 2 tsp!)
2 tbsp wheat flour
1 tsp. curry
1 tsp. nutmeg
4 c. low-sodium veggie broth (I used College Inn brand.)
1 tbsp. tomato paste
1/2 c. evaporated milk (She suggests the fat-free version.)
1/2 tsp. sage

In soup pot, melt butter and add onion, garlic, and apple.  Saute until onion is translucent. Add flour, curry, and nutmeg and cook until apple is tender.  Saving Dinner says at this point, you should blend these ingredients with your squash and 1 c. broth, then return to the pan.  Instead, I added the squash and all of the broth, and then blended it with the immersion blender.  Pick your method.  Add tomato paste, milk, and sage.  Bring to a boil over medium heat, and then simmer a few minutes.  Then eat!

If you have to use regular milk, instead of evaporated milk, don't boil it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I am very needy. I need your comments.