Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Thanksgiving -- Yes, I do want cranberries with that

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  I mean, I like Easter and Christmas.  But Thanksgiving is my favorite.

I noticed today that my local town has hung up their Christmas decorations.  Each light pole has a tacky light-up angel or a wreath stuck to it.  My kids said, "Mom!  Is it almost Christmas?"  You'd think so.  I was at Lowe's before Halloween, and they had Christmas decorations out already.  It was frightening.



Poor Thanksgiving.  It's like nobody cares.

I love Thanksgiving because it is a great day to remember God's blessings on my life.  I love that I get to see my dearest friends and family.  I love that there are no presents.  No lights.  No tree.  No stress.  I love that there's a  great feast to remind us how rich we truly are.

And so I stubbornly refuse to pull out any Christmas decorations.  I don't want to hear Bing Crosby or Andy Williams or Nat King Cole crooning to me about the wonders of the season.  I don't want to think about whether I remembered to buy ornament hooks last year.  I don't want to bake cookies.  I don't want to wrap gifts (ever).  I don't want to watch It's a Wonderful Life.  Yet.

For now, I just want to slow down and be thankful.  And eat some pumpkin pie.

3 comments:

  1. yes, but wouldn't you rather be putting up outside lights today at sunny 62 rather than next month in blizzard 14 degrees?? just saying. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so with you, but for different reasons--sort of. I don't want to hear any Christmas music until after Thanksgiving dinner has been eaten, but only because if we keep bringing Christmas earlier and earlier, it stops being special (and Thanksgiving loses its meaning entirely!) I don't want to lose the special-ness of the two holidays! Enjoy your holiday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! My four year old was absolutely offended when she saw Christmas decorations up at a shopping center. Even she knows it's too early! And I was flabbergasted to find only one or two measly Thanksgiving crafts, right after Halloween, and this was after going to several big craft stores. It is the forgotten holiday. Now, the day after Thanksgiving, I say bring on Christmas, but that is only because we have a family tradition of going to a tree farm to cut down our own tree the day after Thanksgiving. Then I have the rest of the weekend to decorate it, so I feel like I start the Christmas season a little bit ahead and not bogged down with everything I have to do.
    Happy Thanksgiving! ~Julie

    ReplyDelete

I am very needy. I need your comments.