Wednesday, July 7, 2010

This mom knows a thing or two

I often say, "I used to be smart." I really used to pride myself on knowing things, getting good grades, and being, generally, well....nerdy. Scholastic, one might say. And really, I am still smart, just about different things. Here's a little list of things I have learned as a result of becoming a mommy:


1. Handing out ice cream cones makes me a rock star.

2. I get God. I mean, kind of. Like a smidge more than I did before kids. I get the whole "loving you before you were born" part. And grace. Oh yes, grace. Not getting what you deserve. I get that one a lot better now.

3. My best parenting days occurred before I became a mom. Let's face it. I'll never be as smart about kids as I was when I was 20, and thought, "why can't that mother control her child? My kids will never act like that!" Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

4. When there's a boo boo, or might be a boo boo, or a child remembers an old boo boo, just give her the band aid. They don't cost that much. Even I feel a little cheerier when I have a Snoopy band aid on my own boo boos.

5. A child's happiness increases as the amount of dirt and grime that covers him increases. And that's good. God made dirt, and all that.

6. I am pretty good at thinking on the fly. I don't know what I am doing, but I am getting good at making it up as I go along.

7. I had no idea what I was actually capable of until I became a mother. I only wanted 2 or 3 kids. I never thought I would have 4. I never ever thought I would homeschool, or stay at home with them. So while I have learned a lot about childcare and discipline and such, I have learned more about myself. So often, I look at myself in the negative (I'm not patient, I should have done this differently, why did I say that!?!?, etc.). I am certainly far from perfect. But I do believe I am capable of more now than ever before. I know that God will give me the knowledge (patience, strength, etc.) that I need to raise these children. He has already given me my heart's desire, and I am thankful for the four of them every day.

1 comment:

  1. Here are some things that I have learned:

    1)Without my friends, they would have taken me to the crazy house about 10 years ago.

    2) Dad's parent differently, not better or worse, just differently. None have my kids have died or been severely injured in his care.

    3)The expensive stuff we have done make no better more spectacular memories than the times we've had fun as a family for free.

    4) Juice box wings are genius.

    ReplyDelete

I am very needy. I need your comments.